Saturday, January 17, 2009

Let's Go to the Movies....

Deployment is a common theme in the Air Force....much like moving every 2-3 years, living/seeing places you never imagined, and quirky base housing. I say that because I had great friends that kept me going while J was gone 182 days, and now it's my turn to help out! I have two friends with deployed spouses and last night one of them suggests the movies....ouch....the MOVIES! I love to see movies, just not necessarily with my children. Well, N and A do great - it's just Lil' L who doesn't quite appreciate the movie going experience. Last time I took her, I spent the evening out in the lobby....the ENTIRE evening. Which would not have been too bad, except for the fact we have one theater on base and basically in our area. Oh, you can drive the 1 1/2 hour to Luxembourg and have the ultimate movie experience - complete with gourmet snack food, massive screens, reclining chairs and the original English version movies - but that isn't always so convenient. AND if you speak other languages, you can go local, but again, not really what we are looking for in a movie experience :) Our theater is in an auditorium - think cafeteria/gym with stage on far wall...I liken it to having prom dinner in the cafeteria and then returning 2 hours later to said cafeteria and having the prom dance - YES AHS PEEPS!!! But, I'm not complaining - just painting a picture :) So, after much discussion by the man and I, we decide to suck it up, take the kids and be there for our friend. We do a quick stop at Taco Bell - yes, we actually have Taco Bell, Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut AND a "we proudly brew Starbucks coffee" place! - and head over. Ahhhhh, the excitement is building....tickets....Popcorn....SOda....CANDY!!!!!! Where are we sitting!!!! Where's my popcorn!!! Oops I spilled!!!! Fun times :) So, after we stand for the National Anthem - yes, you have the anthem at base theaters - we settled in to watch "Bedtime Stories."

The verdict??

AWESOME!!! Now, the movie was great - we all laughed and even laughed harder when we heard the kids cracking up! But the best part is that for the first time in 2 1/2 years, we ALL sat through a movie without any interruptions! No more spills, no bathroom trips, no screams, no fights, no hitting, no running up the aisles, no standing in the lobby...it's like we were in our own bedtime story, as J pointed out. We had a great family evening out and our friend enjoyed some adult time - which you need when your other half is away! I'm just thankful God gives us those wonderful moments to offset the not so pleasant ones...like the day before where I was spent and had a rough go of it with the kids - but that's another story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment