Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Anger Management

So N brings home a worksheet on how to deal with anger. As follows:

Why did you get mad? Lil L broke my dog collar for a dog.
Where did it happen? In our house.
Who were you angry with? Lil L.
How mad did you get? I blew my head off.
How long did you stay mad? 1 minute.
How did you handle it? I thought of something else.
Who did you tell about how you felt? My dad.
What would youdo differently next time? I would keep it safe.

My favorite answer is "I blew my head off." I wonder where she gets that? I found her answers quite amusing and then stopped to think of my own coping mechanisms. I tend to be fine when I'm well-rested and healthy BUT that honestly doesn't happen very often!! Sometimes I don't want to be the mom who speaks kind words and love - rather, after an hour of cutting my insanely squirmy son's hair, I scream out "I HATE CUTTING YOUR HAIR!!!" Then the kids normally look at me and bust up laughing...and I always join in. Great reality check for mom :)

In addition to the worksheet there is a list of "Safe Ways to Handle Anger." I love the simplicity and real descriptions - see life through a child's eyes...it becomes more of an adventure.

*Take time out and relax.
Count to ten. Take three deep breaths. Feel rubbery.
*Take a warm bath.
Wash away the bad feelings.
*Walk away from the problem.
Go to a safe place where you can shout :)
*Run and play.
Have some fun.
*Put your feelings on paper. Draw and color.
Make some angry pictures showing how you feel.
*Hit something safe.
Hit your pillow or kick a cushion.
*Use humor. Make a joke out of it.
See something funny in what happened. Laugh at yourself.
*No big deal. Work with your mind.
Decide if this problem is worth getting upset over.
*Talk it out. Use "I" messages.
Tell how you feel. Make a deal. Share. Ask them to stop.
*Say you are sorry and make up.
Only do this if you really mean it.
*Get help from a grown-up.
Or ask another kid to mediate.

Good safety tips :)

1 comment:

  1. I have done the same thing when cutting my son's hair. I no longer cut his hair, it either keeps growing, I take him somewhere to get it cut or Brenda does it. I just don't have the patience to do it, so I avoid it.

    I've enjoyed reading your blog Jen. Its fun keeping up with long time friends.

    ReplyDelete